transforming our laundry room

We’ve spent the last few days making our laundry room more attractive. Witness the before photo:

The previous owners had painted one wall yellow (to their credit, it actually does match the adjacent hallway and kitchen) and wallpapered the remaining three walls. They also (thoughtfully!) added a top and bottom floral border strip. Other problems include suspiciously flimsy shelving above the washer and unpainted two by fours holding up hanging rods. Blech.

The first thing we did was remove all the “stuff” attached to the walls. We are putting up clean, white cabinets in lieu of the open shelving. I patched the holes and Eric sanded and taped off the room.

After priming, it looks like a sterile hospital room.

Instead of spending countless hours stripping wallpaper that was directly adhered to the drywall (eep!), I just primed and painted over it. After all, we reasoned, it’s just the laundry room. I am happy to report that it worked! :)

Ta da!

I chose ‘peanut butter’ for the wall color and spray-painted the outlet covers and floor register ‘almond’ so they all matched.

Last night we bought a corner shelf to go next to the cabinet above the washer and another cabinet to go above the wine fridge in the back. More photos of the completely finished product soon.

Edited to add: the completely finished product!