While Eric was waiting for the DISH guys to show up, I went to a free wine tasting sponsored by our favorite resturant in Durham.
Eric marked a few whites on the list that he wanted me to try in his absence. Since there were six tables (one per distributor) featuring all varieties of wines, I bounced around in true wine geek fashion, trying all the whites first then the reds.
Some of my favorites were:
- Agapito Rico Carchelo, 2005—this is a great value at $10, heavy spice and smoky aroma, hint of nutmeg, would be wonderful with steak fajitas.
- Dr. Loosen “Dr. L” Riesling, 2005—this affordable white is sweet and flowery, delicious!
- Aprilskloof Sauvignon Blanc NV—we both love South African whites and this one is very tasty, grassy with hints of minerals, very easy to drink.
- Las Moras Viognier—the price sold me on this one too, light citrus and apricot with the typical full-bodied feel of a rich viognier.
- Capolan Merlot, 2004—I’m normally not a merlot fan (has nothing to do with Sideways, honest), but this wine is great… probably because of the added tempranillo. :)